Monday, October 18, 2010

Best Zucchini Bread. Ever.


As much as I like to futz with recipes and switch things up, sometimes I find something that is so good it needs no futzing. This was my experience with the zucchini bread food writer and cook Susan Russo posted on her blog, Food Blogga, last summer. It’s her mom’s, and it is far and away the best zucchini bread I’ve ever eaten. You can see the original here.

All other zucchini breads I’ve tried, including stuff I’ve bought in a bakery and my own, are way too zucchini heavy. Susan’s mom hits just the right note with hers, not only with the zucchini but with the sweet and spice as well. This recipe also includes coconut, which I am happy to add to just about anything.

If you’re experiencing zucchini overload and have become vexed as to how to dispose of it, treat yourself and bake this without delay. It’ll be gone before you know it, and I just bet you’ll be longing for zucchini season to start up again so you can bake more zucchini bread.

Mom’s Zucchini Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Recipe by Susan Russo, www.foodblogga.com

The original recipe yields 2 loaves, but I have only one loaf pan, so I halved the recipe here. The only changes I made were: I used toasted pecans and unsweetened coconut, and I didn’t use an electric mixer to combine the wet ingredients. I used a whisk. Why? Because I’m lazy, that’s why.

Canola oil spray
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
½ cup canola oil
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup chopped nuts, preferably walnuts or pecans
1 cup shredded zucchini, with the skins
½ cup crushed pineapple, drained
⅓ cup shredded sweetened coconut

1. Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Spray 9x5 loaf pan with canola oil.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer. Add canola oil and vanilla and beat until combined. Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir by hand. Fold in nuts, zucchini, pineapple and coconut.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and even it out. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto wire rack and cool completely. This will be good for 3 or so days in an airtight container, but I doubt it will last that long.

3 comments:

  1. Lori, do you ever use agave ? What are the effects from baking with it instead of sugar? I like it because it digests a little slower and doesn't throw me in to a hyoglycemic insulin downer as much as sugar. It seems like this would be a good application for agave. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marty, I am not an agave fan. I don't like the taste and baking with a liquid sweetener is always challenging to me. That said, I know agave is lower on the glycemic scale and is better for many bodies due to that. I say, make the zucchini bread with agave and let me know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well since I am "manorexic", I only talk about dessert, I don't really eat it. But maybe I'll bake some and let you guys try it! Haha!

    ReplyDelete