Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Raisins, Rules and Irish Soda Bread


Raisins occupy two places in my world: the palm of my hand, from where they will be tossed into my mouth, and in bread. Raisins do not belong in cookies, cereal, cake, muffins or the like. I don’t know why I dig raisins in bread or by themselves but will summarily pick them out of a piece of carrot cake or avoid oatmeal-raisin cookies altogether.

This week’s Baking with Julia project is Irish soda bread. I love Irish soda bread with raisins, which, according to contributing baker Marion Cunningham, are not a traditional ingredient in Irish soda bread. Since the bread has only four other ingredients—flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk, which were readily available in most Irish kitchens—I have to assume raisins were not staples in many Irish households. Okay. I’m Irish, and I’ll eat raisins only two ways, so I’ll buy that.

Prior to baking this bread, which was absolutely delicious and contained plump, juicy raisins, I hadn’t eaten Irish soda bread in probably 20 years. The last Irish soda bread I’d eaten was from a bakery in Woodlawn, a neighborhood in the Bronx.

I had been visiting a friend and passed the bakery on my way back to the subway station. The round loaves inside shouted out for me to get in there and buy one of them, which I promptly did. The girl behind the counter sliced it for me, and I watched as she swept the errant raisins into the plastic bread bag. I still had a few more blocks to get to the subway, and by the time I got on the train, I couldn’t help myself. I tore into that bread like someone who had not eaten for days. My fellow passengers looked on in mild disgust, and no one had the courage to sit beside me until we stopped at Grand Central Station. By the time the 4 train had delivered me to my Fulton Street stop in lower Manhattan, the bread was almost gone.

The BWJ loaf was consumed with a bit more restraint—and butter. This bread is so easy to make and so perfect for breakfast, I just may add this to my repertoire. Ms. Cunningham also says that because of “the wee bit of fat that’s in the buttermilk,” by day’s end the loaf will “turn as hard as the Blarney Stone.” My loaf lasted two full days. Luck of the Irish, I guess.


To see the Baking with Julia recipe for Irish soda bread, visit the blogs of Carla and Cathleen. Or, why not buy the book?


18 comments:

  1. Your loaf is beautiful! Loved the subway story :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. You're not a real New Yorker unless you can eat with no shame on the subway. :)

      Delete
  2. Your bread looks great! I like raisins anywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! There's no middle ground about raisins.

      Delete
  3. That is one gorgeous loaf, I can imagine how delicious it was! A thick slice with butter? Perfection.

    I share your raisin stance...except for one very recent about-face. Out of the blue, I now like raisins in my oatmeal (along with brown sugar, cinnamon, and crushed almonds.) Used to hate those little plumpers, now I love 'em. But just in oatmeal. Those little dudes stay OUT of my oatmeal cookies and carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I can totally see how you'd make an exception for oatmeal. I am a salt-and-butter-only girl when it comes to oatmeal. Don't raisins just RUIN carrot cake and oatmeal cookies?

      Delete
  4. We're mostly on the same page with raisins, though my one exception is oatmeal raisin cookies, not bread. That said, your bread looks like it turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. Many people feel the same way about the oatmeal cookies!

      Delete
  5. Oh, how funny about the raisins, Lori! I really enjoyed your bread buying story. Your loaf looks fantastic and you got a perfectly scored "X" in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Elaine. Not easy to get the knife out after scoring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely loaf and tale of eating this bread on the subway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If crazily tearing into bread buys you uncrowded seating on the subway, life is good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post - and loaf of bread! Funny, everyone thought my currants were raisins - which made some people "pass".. Looks wonderful - Happy 'post' St. Paddy's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your story about the subway, hilarious! Your bread looks delicious. Great post!

    ReplyDelete